Monday, January 4, 2010

January Miles

Florida miles are strictly recreational -- that's been my theory for a while, and it still makes sense to me. I can't quite resist keeping track of my mileage, but I have no goals for the month. January is the only month in my bike log that has a zero next to it since I started keeping detailed records in January of 2001, the year of the first TRAM. That zero is in 2004. TOPWLH was recovering from by-pass surgery, I was working full time and we did not come to Florida that year.

My first bike ride of this year was pretty ordinary, to the beach and back. It's a cold day by Florida standards, with a high in the low 50's. Freeze advisories are out for nearly every night this week, and there is concern for the orange groves. The north wind felt chilly, but I was plenty warm enough in a base layer, sweatshirt, vest, tights, long fingered gloves and helmet liner. I still haven't figured out if it is twenty-ten or two thousand ten, but I do know that January of 2010 has some miles on record. It's a start.

1 comment:

Non-retired Professor said...

Congrats on January miles. This reminds me that I MUST make a New Year's resolution to exercise regularly (and then keep it).
Enjoy the warmth and the exercise in Florida.